School Bus Driver Training Application
This School Bus Driver Training Application is for individuals seeking to start training or are seeking more information about our School Bus Training Program. We will be able to let you know in detail what the process is, also get an understanding of your schedule to best develop a training plan that will meet your needs.
School Bus Driver
School bus driver training for New Jersey starts with getting your endorsements. All of New Jersey school bus drivers employed or not, must get both P (passenger) and S(school bus) endorsements
School Bus Driver Requirements
Passenger (P) endorsement requirements
You must be at least 21 years old and meet the following requirements:
- 20/40 vision in each eye (with our without corrective lenses)
- 70 degree peripheral vision in each eye
- Be able to recognize red, green and amber colors
- Be physically fit; submit a copy of a completed federal Medical Examiner’s Certificate [pdf] and a copy of a Medical Examiner’s Certificate every two years or as indicated by your physician
- Pass a background check and fingerprint requirements; follow procedures for S endorsement
Complete a declaration form to select DOE, Non-DOE or public transporation of school-age children.
Additional requirements for Department of Education drivers
To renew a license, Department of Education drivers must:
Pass a background check; you should begin the submission as early as 90 days prior to the expiration of your “S” endorsement to make sure you will have the results of your criminal history check and Approval Letter prior to your expiration date.