CDL Training

CDL Driving Lessons

All CDL training applicants must comply with all medical fitness and vision requirements. The minimum age for a CDL license is 18, but you must be 21 to apply for a hazardous material or passenger CDL endorsements, or to drive any commercial vehicle outside of the state (interstate).

CDL Guidelines

If you are interested in tractor trailer driving you will need to have a Class A CDL license. With a Class A CDL license you can also operate Class B vehicles and Class C vehicles, provided you have the proper extra CDL endorsements.

The first step is to begin studying and preparing for your theory tests with our proven method of study. You must pass 3 theory tests: general knowledge, air brakes and combination vehicles. The theory tests are administered at most Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC) locations and consist of 50 questions for general knowledge, 25 questions for air brakes, 25 questions for combination vehicles.

To get your CDL, you must meet the following qualifications:
• Be a US Citizen or a non-US Citizen with lawful permanent resident status.
• Be at least 18 years old.
• Have a basic; New Jersey driver’s license(Class D).
• Have at least 20/40 vision in each eye with or without glasses.
• Be able to recognize red, green, and amber colors.
• Be physically fit.*
* All CLP/CDL drivers must complete the CDL Holder Self-Certification document, and if applicable, submit a valid medical examiner certificate.

Important note: The medical or background check results can lead to a commercial driver license disqualification. If disqualified, there is no refund of the CLP fee.

School Bus Driver Requirements 70 years of Age and Older
Application Process
• Study in advance by reading the CDL Manual.
• Get your examination test receipt.
• Make an appointment for a CDL Permit.
• Complete the Application for Commercial Driver License
• Bring your 6 Points of ID, including your social security card, proof of address, and proof of legal presence in the US.
• Be prepared to pay the $125 commercial examination test receipt fee (non-refundable) by credit card, check, money order, or cash.
• Take your CDL knowledge test.
• If you are not prepared to take your test at the time you get your Examination Test Receipt, you must make an appointment for the test.
• EFFECTIVE 2/7/22: If you are applying for a HAZMAT endorsement, you must complete the required Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) from a provider listed on FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry prior to taking your knowledge test.
• After passing your CDL knowledge test(s), you will be issued your Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP). At this time, you may schedule your skills test.*
• Take your CDL skills test.
• EFFECTIVE 2/7/22: Prior to taking your skills test for your CDL or any endorsements, you must complete Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) from a provider listed on FMCSA’s Training Provider Registry.
• You must have an appointment to take your skills test.
• Unless waived, CLP holders must wait a minimum of 14 days before taking the skills test.
• After passing your skills test, you will be issued your CDL.
The cost of the four-year CDL is $42 and $2 for each endorsement. An applicant’s first CDL will be prorated to expire with any current basic New Jersey driver’s license.
CDL applicants under 21 years old:
• Can only operate in intrastate commerce (within NJ only) and
• Must select commerce category “3” or “4” on the CDL Holder Self-Certification form; and
• May not receive a HAZMAT (HME) endorsement; and
• May not receive a passenger endorsement.
Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) restrictions are as follows:
K – Restriction for Intrastate only.
L – Restriction for vehicles with no air brakes.
P – No passenger restriction on CLP, if CLP has a P endorsement.
V – Restriction for medical variance (the driver must also have the hard copy variance issued by Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration).
X – No Cargo in Tank restriction, if CLP has an N endorsement.
Commercial Driver License (CDL) restrictions are as follows:
E – No manual transmission equipped CMV (If you take the test in a CMV with an automatic transmission, you will receive the E restriction and are prohibited from operating a CMV with a manual transmission).
K – Intrastate only.
O – No tractor trailer CMV.
Q – 15 Passengers or less
T – Probationary driver: supervising driver required; night and passenger restrictions if under 21.
V – Medical variance.
Z – No full air brake equipped CMV.

The following do not need a CDL for their purposes:
• Taxi drivers (carrying less than seven passengers) and ride-sharing van drivers.
• Firefighters
• Operators of rescue or first-aid squad vehicles.
• Farmers hauling their own products and equipment within 150 miles of their farms.
• Non-civilian operators of military equipment.
• Operators of construction equipment not designed for operation on public roads.
• Operators of recreational vehicles, provided the vehicle is being operated only for personal use

Once you have mastered tractor-trailer driving, we will take you to your road tests.